HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Need Job Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dena

avatar

Posts : 678
Join date : 2011-09-05
Age : 34

PostSubject: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 pm

From time to time I apply for a part time job. About two weeks I saw something for 15 hours a week which interested me since that's about how many hours I'd like to work. The problem - it's a church secretary. I know shul's employ non-Jews but that's a bit different. It was a Methodist church which from what I understand are less fundamental than other denominations.

Anyway, right after I realized I probably couldn't do the job even if they would hire me. I didn't hear from them and forgot out it. Today they called for an interview. I said I would go but I'm wondering, should I just call them back and tell them I am not interested? The idea seems so odd but I never get interviews. So, I don't know. I'm leaning towards telling them I'm not interested but my husband thinks I should just go and see what all is involved. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
tamar

avatar

Posts : 181
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : Northern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Dena wrote:
From time to time I apply for a part time job. About two weeks I saw something for 15 hours a week which interested me since that's about how many hours I'd like to work. The problem - it's a church secretary. I know shul's employ non-Jews but that's a bit different. It was a Methodist church which from what I understand are less fundamental than other denominations.

Anyway, right after I realized I probably couldn't do the job even if they would hire me. I didn't hear from them and forgot out it. Today they called for an interview. I said I would go but I'm wondering, should I just call them back and tell them I am not interested? The idea seems so odd but I never get interviews. So, I don't know. I'm leaning towards telling them I'm not interested but my husband thinks I should just go and see what all is involved. Thoughts?


Why not consider it?
Back to top Go down
esf

avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Well, you applied for the job, so you should probably go to the interview. If you don't feel comfortable you can always decline (if offered). Depending on what exactly the job is, they might want you to be attending services/involved with the community which I guess would make the decision easy for you!
Back to top Go down
Dena

avatar

Posts : 678
Join date : 2011-09-05
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:22 pm

tamar wrote:


Why not consider it?

I don't want to be asked to promote another religion in way whatsoever. So, that concerns me. If all I have to do is answer the phone and type of newsletters for the congregation I suppose that wouldn't be so bad. But...I don't know. It just doesn't feel right.
Back to top Go down
tamar

avatar

Posts : 181
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : Northern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Dena wrote:
tamar wrote:


Why not consider it?

I don't want to be asked to promote another religion in way whatsoever. So, that concerns me. If all I have to do is answer the phone and type of newsletters for the congregation I suppose that wouldn't be so bad. But...I don't know. It just doesn't feel right.


I know that in some Christian denominations the office personal are not allowed to belong to the church they work in. I know that the office personal who work in the Shul I go to are members.

The office personal that work in the church where my lay led community rents space for their weekly Hebrew school are simply members of that church who work there. They have never promoted their religion.

I know I would want to work in a Jewish office not so much because the church folks might want to promote their religion, I just want to work in an environment where my holidays are celebrated.





Back to top Go down
searchinmyroots

avatar

Posts : 152
Join date : 2011-12-01
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 pm

That's a tough one.

If you really need the job, then I would go for the interview and see what it's about.

Would you feel comfortable doing mailings or typing a newsletter with content that you are 100% oppossed to?

Also, it might be diffcult around the Christian holidays as you might feel more uncomfortable in that environment.

I really don't want to be discouraging you, I just want you to picture yourself there during these times and to think how you may feel.

Okay, that does sound discouraging, sorry! I just think you should think about it.
Back to top Go down
Dena

avatar

Posts : 678
Join date : 2011-09-05
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:42 pm

searchinmyroots wrote:


If you really need the job, then I would go for the interview and see what it's about.

I don't need it.

searchinmyroots wrote:
Would you feel comfortable doing mailings or typing a newsletter with content that you are 100% oppossed to?

Yes, see that is where I can bet I'll have a problem. Sending out mailing to me, is promoting another religion. It's surely probably part of the job. And quite frankly, perhaps some people find this weird but I just feel uncomfortable in churches. I went once about a year ago with a friend because he husband was in a new band and she didn't know the other wives. She wanted me to keep her company because she felt anxious. I went and though it was just the band and a couple of other people (and their children) I felt very uncomfortable. I keep imagining that to be how I would feel working in a church.

searchinmyroots wrote:
Also, it might be diffcult around the Christian holidays as you might feel more uncomfortable in that environment.

Good point. I'm around my husband's family at Christmas and Easter but that's family. It's different and they are not that religious (his parents and sister are not at all).

Thanks, Searchin. You make good points.



Back to top Go down
esf

avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 pm

If you feel that uncomfortable with it, and don't really need the job, then just call and apologize. And make sure you don't apply to any more jobs with churches!
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

avatar

Posts : 373
Join date : 2011-09-05
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I agree with esf. If you need the job, I think you should go to the interview to find out more details about what the work entails. You should of course be upfront with them about the fact that you are Jewish. And let them know in advance if you will need certain days off from work for holidays. As esf says, if they offer you a job but you decide you don't want it, you could still decline and perhaps tell them that you realized that you are not comfortable with working for an organization of another religion.

A church newsletter might not have content that is problematic for a Jew. It is likely to publicizing events and activities more than directly proselytizing. Seems unlikely that a Methodist church would be involved in trying to interest and convert Jews, for example.
Back to top Go down
LineyLu

avatar

Posts : 33
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 23
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 am

I agree with a lot of the above. Find out what exactly you'll be doing. We have a Jewish teacher at my Catholic school. She takes off for the High Holidays every year, and she doesn't participate in religious events that contradict her beliefs. If you feel confident that this church will respect your religion and you're okay with what you'll be doing, then take the job. If not, then don't. I see no problem with going to the interview -- like other posters have said, you can always decline.
Back to top Go down
Dena

avatar

Posts : 678
Join date : 2011-09-05
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:58 pm

I went to the interview but they called today to tell me I did not get the job. The Pastor did not seemed thrilled with the idea of a Non-Christian being in the position. She said it was important to her then sorta try to make up for it by saying it was okay that I was at least a "spritual" person but uh, I don't think she liked the idea. Laughing
Back to top Go down
esf

avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Seems like it all worked out for the best :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Need Job Advice   

Back to top Go down
 
Need Job Advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Jewish Life-
Jump to: