Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Telling people

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Telling people Empty
PostSubject: Telling people   Telling people EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 am

Hi everyone

First, let me say I really appreciate this forum.

I've made the decision after careful thought and lots of reading and studying to continue on this journey to become Jewish. I start Hebrew lessons today and I'm really excited for that.

I have started telling a few select people, and I think I may have lost a Catholic friend. I sense that she is distancing herself from me. I realize it could be another cause, but she is not communicating so I'm left to wonder and it's hurting.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do?

Thanks
Carrie
Back to top Go down
tamar

tamar

Telling people Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling people   Telling people EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:14 am

siuslawcarrie wrote:
Hi everyone

First, let me say I really appreciate this forum.

I've made the decision after careful thought and lots of reading and studying to continue on this journey to become Jewish. I start Hebrew lessons today and I'm really excited for that.

I have started telling a few select people, and I think I may have lost a Catholic friend. I sense that she is distancing herself from me. I realize it could be another cause, but she is not communicating so I'm left to wonder and it's hurting.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do?

Thanks
Carrie

I experienced people not understanding what my becoming Jewish meant for them. Would my becoming Jewish mean I could not still be their friends. Many people really do not understand Judaism. She may not understand why you would not want to be Christian. I would try to talk to her openly and honestly.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Telling people Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling people   Telling people EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I haven't had much of an issue. I do know that my brother does not want me present for Christmas get together between my sibslings and father because I am Jewish. I was not invited this year but that could be more so because my sister likes to keep me away from my dad (it makes her feel special). It's possible it was also because my brother did not want me there but he insisted to my mother that he didn't know I wasn't invited. But my siblings are strange and there would be issues even if I wasn't a Jew.

This is the only thing that has come up so far. I did think a friend was pushing me away because our religious differences but I figured out that was not true. I do think it's possible she would prefer I don't mention much about it in her home. She's very into the idea that demons inhabited everything (even objects like magazines or pencils) and has always thought her house was full of demons. So to her maybe talking about a religion that does not include Jesus will bring in demons or something? I don't know. Bee might understand this line of thinking better than I do. She's been involved in the same kind of chuches.

My friends reacted really well, actually. I never expected them to be so casual about it. Now of course we don't really discuss it so that might help. I don't discuss it with family either.

The only advice I can give is to give her some time to let it sink in, you know what I mean? People may need time to just think about it and get used to the idea. It may not even be that they think it's a bad thing, it's just new and different.

I have noticed that some conversion students want to argue or debate. I'd advise against it. If a good friend or relative tries to bait you, don't let them. It's perfectly okay to tell people you do not want to discuss emotional or controversial topics.

Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Telling people Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling people   Telling people EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Oh and I'm glad you are finding this place useful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Telling people Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling people   Telling people Empty

Back to top Go down

Telling people