Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Takkanot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Takkanot Empty
PostSubject: Takkanot   Takkanot EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm not really understanding the idea behnd takkanot. Say you are reading a responsa and at the end of the article it states the paper is considered a takkanah. Does that mean is has no bearing on observance? Or am I way off?
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Takkanot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Takkanot   Takkanot EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 am

Takkanot are rabbinic decrees that sometimes rather dramatically break with previous tradition or rulings due to new circumstances or new understandings of Jewish law. here is the wikipedia article: Wikipedia: Takkanah
I first learned about the term at a class taught by my sponsoring rabbi about the Conservative ruling on driving to shul on Shabbat which was a "takkanah". In fact, many of the Conservative responsa which seem to go against traditional Jewish law are "takkanot". See the section "Takkanot: Significant legislative changes in Jewish law" about halfway down on this webpage: Committee on Jewish Law and Standards

Takkanot can be used to impose additional stringencies too. Some takkanot that might be of interest to those on this forum are those in the 20th century by Syrian Jewish communities in Buenos Aires and New York which banned conversions and ruled against accepting any converts into the community. Crying or Very sad See Syrian Jews: Attitudes to Conversion

And some takkanot are observed by all Jews today (not just specific groups such as those noted above). For example, around the year 1000, Rabbeinu Gershom instituted the takkanah which outlawed polygamy even though it is permitted in the Torah.
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

Takkanot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Takkanot   Takkanot EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:44 am

Nice, I learned a new word.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Takkanot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Takkanot   Takkanot Empty

Back to top Go down

Takkanot