Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Purim

Go down 
+7
searchinmyroots
Mychal
FaustianSlip
Dena
esf
tamar
Debbie B.
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's a children's book about Purim that my frum friend says has the best ever recipe for Hamantashen dough: Purim Play

While mentioning children's books, I have to mention my all-time favorite series of Jewish picture books which are cute and educational: the "Sammy Spider" series. Here's the one about Purim: Sammy Spider's First Purim
I kept buying these as new ones came out for a few years after my kids were really past the intended audience. I guess I was thinking in terms of future grandkids Laughing I see from the Amazon listing that I've missed a few. I sure wish I had some younger Jewish nieces and nephews to buy these for, but my sister-in-law does not have children, and my sister's kids are Catholic and secular Christian.

My 17 year old daughter wants to chant a chapter of Esther for my minyan's erev Purim service this year. She wanted to do it last year but got too busy at school and ran out of time to prepare. The extra challenge is that at my minyan the Megillah is read from a scroll, so as for a Torah reading the reader has to know the vowels and trope, but she says that the vowels and trope are "easy" for such as narrative story. I hope she is not taking on too much because she is going to be really busy since she as "first cello" at her school she is playing in the orchestra for her school's production of "Hello, Dolly".

My family has usually done all our costumes in some sort of family theme, which is a fun tradition done by many families in my minyan. Last year we were all "bugs"'; the previous year we were different "Alice in Wonderland" characters. Our best year we were "other holidays": my husband was a piece of matzah; my daughter was a lulav and carried a giant "etrog"; my son was a dreidel; I was a tree (Tu Bishevat).
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I actually got all the way to the "boneless skinless" part of the eggplant article in the email notice below before I realized: oh yeah, today is Purim!

Copying a Facebook status from one of my friends:
!חמש םירופ גח

Purim - Page 2 Purim-Eggplant_Page_1
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Another Purim spoof:
Rabbits for Human Fights
Back to top Go down
aharon

aharon

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 am

It's time again guys!

I'm going to make hamentaschen. And as someone who isnt that skilled in the kitchen, I'm going to practice with my first bunch tomorrow. Wish me luck.

This year will be my 2nd celebrating Purim. Last year I made a basket for my 8 year old son and he was so excited. The joy on his face!

He wants to make a couple of baskets for his three best friends next week and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this. I have explained to him the story behind mishloach manot which he does appreciate. I'm really impressed he wants to do this, especially as he will use his own pocket money to fund it. However he's certainly not regarded as a Jew by his school, when he enrolled I ticked the Catholic box on his forms. Certainly they have no idea of my personal journey. My thoughts are maybe I should leave him do what he is comfortable with. However I'm concerned he might be questioned by a teacher 'why the Jewish thing?' which is a situation I don't him to find himself in just yet with his very limited understanding.

Would anyone be willing to share your thoughts on this?

I've thought a compromise might be for him to do as he wishes but invite his friends over to our home in the afternoon and present them then? That way I can support him if he gets stuck explaining why he's doing it. Now that I ponder it further it sounds logistically easier as well.

Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes, I would have him invite his friends over for school. It will be easier for him and I'm sure they will have fun together. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mychal

Mychal

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:55 pm

If anyone asked why he was handing out baskets, can he not say, "My mommy's a Jew and Jews give gifts on Purim"?

I don't know the school your son is in, of course. I went to an Episcopal school and had a Jewish boy in my class. The big talk in 8th grade was about Zach's bar mitzvah that previous summer; all his friends had really enjoyed it. No one cared he was Jewish any more than I cared that one of my best friends was a non-practicing Buddhist/Confucianist and the other one a maybe, sort of, non-practicing Christian of indeterminate denomination.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 am

Mychal wrote:
If anyone asked why he was handing out baskets, can he not say, "My mommy's a Jew and Jews give gifts on Purim"?

Mychal, my understanding is Aharon is not yet Jewish, but is just exploring Judaism at this point, and his son is not Jewish, but is simply learning about Jewish tradition along with his father. In fact, the school records list the boy as "Catholic".

I would not advise a child to claim Jewish identity if that is not the case.

It's a situation that my kids never faced, because they were Jewish from the time that they were quite young. I agree that asking the kids over for a fun play date and giving the baskets at that time would be a better option. Also, that avoids the problem of other children who are not in the select three "best friends" who might want to know why he didn't give them a basket.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Purim videos   Purim - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 pm

A few amusing videos for Purim:

The Book of Purim
"Hello" - from "The Book of Purim" - Official Jewish Parody of "The Book of Mormon"
(Note: I have seen a few YouTube clips of "The Book of Mormom" musical, and while admittedly funny, it makes me uncomfortable because I don't like to laugh at people for their religious faith. But you don't really have to know anything about that musical to view this parody"

Purim Time
Based on Lady Gaga's "Poker Face"

Gangnam Purim Style
One of the participants is a member of my lay-led minyan who teaches Hebrew School at Anshe Emet.

My family has been invited to the home of some of our Orthodox friends for a "Purim seudah", the traditional festive meal eaten on the day of Purim. Although we always get dressed up in costumes and attend a megillah reading and make and deliver "misloach manot" (Purim baskets) to many of our Jewish friends, I have actually never attended a "Purim seudah". I'm looking forward to it: for the food which I anticipate will be delicious (they have probably been cooking for days) and also to hear more details about a trip to Israel that this family took in January.

Chag Purim sameach!
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Due to a family situation that has turned our lives upside down recently, I didn't think we'd get it together enough to create home-made Purim costumes in a family theme as we usually do. After all, we had no costumes by the beginning of Shabbat, and even if we had a good idea, not only buying supplies, but any actions in involved in "making" costumes would not be proper Shabbat activities. I figured we'd just wear any of several costume hats we have at home.

Strictly speaking, one is forbidden from planning for something that is after Shabbat during Shabbat, but we're not observant of Shabbat to that extent in my household. So just a couple of hours before Havdalah we started to talk about Purim costumes. I wanted to re-use the costume I am most proud of making for my children: a venus flytrap sewn from felt : "catchers" to go over the hands, one with plastic fly inside; white flower petals on a headband. I suggested that we could use the family theme of "plants" and re-use another "costume" from a previous year: dressing as a tree, as I had been as "Tu Bishevat" the year that we did "other holidays". Very easy: wear brown pants and long sleeve shirt and tape green paper "leaves" all over the arms and top part of the body.

But there are currently three of us (my daughter is off at college), so we needed one more plant costume. My son insisted that it should be an "interesting plant". Then we hit upon the idea of a cactus. I remembered that my daughter had a light olive colored fleece jacket that she had outgrown, but that still fit me. Wearing a jacket especially appealed to me because I knew that the space that the megillah reading was going to be held in is currently having heating issues and is very cold. I also happen to have a similar colored skirt. We had a box of toothpicks and taped a lot of them all over the jacket for cactus spines. My son suggested a Mexican sombrero and sunglasses (Suguaro cacti grown in SW Arizona and the neighboring part of Mexico), and we happened to have a Mexican-style straw hat from an old costume. He also suggested that I should hold my arms up bent at the elbow so that I looked like a Saguaro cactus

Luckily all of the above took very little time to throw together since from Havdalah until Maariv was scheduled to start was only 45 min. It was fun and a few people did figure out what my costume was even without hints.
Back to top Go down
Sarit

Sarit

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Debbie, your costumes sound great, and the theme is beautiful! I myself was a kind of a plant, too! Actually, I was a "spring-fairy", with flowers and leaves (textile-made) on my shirt and skirt, and also with a butterfly headband and wand! Apparently, I was the only plant in the crowd! :)

My Purim was so joyful! We had a wonderful party with a lot of nice performances - children were dancing, there was also a theater performance and a choir performance (I sang in the choir! Very Happy ). I really enjoyed it. Our rabbi was a hippie and we also had guests from Israel and one of them read Megillat Esther. In one word (ok, two words! Very Happy ), it was colorful and uplifting!
Back to top Go down
Salvia

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Sounds like Purim is fun, in general ^^ With the dressing up and the getting together...

I didn't celebrate it of course (I'm not jewish and I don't know anyone who is, over here) but I happened to have a party saturday night, and as we were thinking up a reason for our party (that's something you can do when you get together for no apparent reason) I suggested Purim. They didn't know what it was so I explained VERY briefly, and okay, a toast, to...Purim and queen Esther ;)

And then we got drunk. It's good I am not jewish, otherwise you would all be shouting 'schanda fur die goyim' right now ;)
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Traditionally, Jews are supposed to get drunk on Purim: the Talmud says that one is supposed to get drunk enough to not be able to tell the difference between "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai."
Back to top Go down
Salvia

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Wow!!! I was halachically correct without knowing I was Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Purim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purim   Purim - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I am not one much for drinking. I was slightly tipsy for about 3 minutes. Razz
Back to top Go down