Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

pet food Chametz?

Go down 
+4
usuario
Dena
tamar
Bee
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bee

Bee

pet food Chametz? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not sure how to ask this but why do pets have to follow dietary laws? Any suggestions for me who has two indoor cats? I feel bad to do this to my cats but don't know how to comply either. My cats will not eat any other food and especially natural foods.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Mychal,

But you probably think it is reasonable when the reverse happens: a pet owner gives his pet to a friend to take care of for some period of time in the other person's home. The pet still "belongs" to the owner even though he doesn't have any contact or derive any benefit from the pet while it is in the care of the friend. I even know cases of this where the pet-sitting occurred for as long as a year or more. There was a situation of pet-sitting that was in "The Ethicist" in the NYT in which the pet-sitter was walking the dog and the dog got into a fight with another dog requiring vet bills. The owner didn't want to pay the vet bills because he said it was the pet-sitter's fault for not keeping the dog on a tighter leash. There were questions of ownership and related responsibility.

Although "selling" a pet is more of a fictional sale than the selling of chametz, particularly because you can't put the pet away in a sealed and marked container, the reasoning is similar. Another similar situation is the "selling" of agricultural land in Israel during the "shmita" year.

Strict interpretations of Jewish law can make life difficult, so observant Jews use many workarounds that may seem ridiculous to others. I've read about people who accuse Orthodox Jews who want to erect an "eruv" as "trying to cheat God". But many atheists think that all religious ritual is ridiculous.

The problem with the milkbone is not whether a dog owned by a Jews can have it, but whether the Jewish dog-owner can own the milkbone before he gives it to the dog. If the dog could go to the store and buy the milkbone for himself, that might be different. There is no problem if a Jewish dog owner leaves his dog with a non-Jewish pet-sitter who feeds the dog a milkbone.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

maculated wrote:
Who's selling cats??

She's referring to this:

Some authorities allow for the pet to be sold along with the חמץ (hametz) and, since the pet does not belong to the Jewish owner, regular pet food would be fed. Note that the document of sale would have to include the pet as well as חמץ (hametz). - the Rabbinical Assembly

and the last part of this article.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

I forgot to mention it could also come in handy for those who completely forgot about their pets food and now realize it's too late to switch. I could see me being that person (if I had a pet). Razz
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Dena wrote:
I forgot to mention it could also come in handy for those who completely forgot about their pets food and now realize it's too late to switch. I could see me being that person (if I had a pet). Razz
It can only help if you realize it when it is too late to gradually switch your pet to a different food (say less than a week or two), but before the holiday starts. You have to do all such "sales" before the holiday. Sales must occur before the latest time that a Jew can own chametz which is actually some time in the morning before erev Pesach. (This year it was about 11am on Friday, April 6, for locations in the continental US.)

From Wikipedia on Chametz:
Quote :
According to Halakhah, if chametz is found during Yom Tov, it must be covered over until Chol HaMoed when it can be burned. Chametz found during Chol HaMoed should be burned immediately.

After the holiday, there is a special law known as "chametz she'avar alav haPesach," chametz that was owned by any Jew during Pesach. Such chametz can only be burned; no benefit may be derived from it at all, not even by selling it to a non-Jew.

Here is an interesting article I found about a non-Jewish owner of a pet food and supply store who consulted a rabbi to verify that he had correctly identified pet foods that were OK for Jews for Passover:
Passover and Pet Food
At the end of the article, Rabbi Jason writes:
Quote :
There is a custom of "selling" one's pet to a non-Jew on Passover. The reason for this has to do with deriving benefit from chametz. Thus, if one leaves a pet with a non-Jew during Passover the pet owner will still derive benefit from chametz when the non-Jewish friend feeds the pet. Therefore, some observant Jews will "sell" the pet to the non-Jewish friend on the condition it is sold back at the conclusion of the holiday in the same fashion as the "legal fiction" sale of chametz.
Back to top Go down
maculated

maculated

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 pm

The loopholes are simply incredible. Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.about.me/kristin.mcnamara
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Debbie B. wrote:

It can only help if you realize it when it is too late to gradually switch your pet to a different food (say less than a week or two), but before the holiday starts. You have to do all such "sales" before the holiday. Sales must occur before the latest time that a Jew can own chametz which is actually some time in the morning before erev Pesach. (This year it was about 11am on Friday, April 6, for locations in the continental US.)

Yes, of course. Your pet needs at least a couple weeks to get used to new food which I can see some people forgetting that far out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pet food Chametz?   pet food Chametz? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

pet food Chametz?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2