Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questions regarding learning Hebrew

Go down 
+2
tamar
klyff
6 posters
AuthorMessage
klyff

Questions regarding learning Hebrew Empty
PostSubject: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:17 am

I would like to buy some software program for learning Hebrew, and would like some feedback before I make a purchase. I have no previous knowledge of Hebrew.

1. Should I purchase Biblical or Modern Hebrew?

2. Does anyone have any practical experiences with any particular software, good or bad?

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
tamar

tamar

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 pm

klyff wrote:
I would like to buy some software program for learning Hebrew, and would like some feedback before I make a purchase. I have no previous knowledge of Hebrew.

2. Does anyone have any practical experiences with any particular software, good or bad?

Many thanks.

Are you interested in modern or biblical? I have taken both modern (sephardic Hebrew) and prayer Hebrew through my shul. I have not really been interested in software as it is nice to be in a class with others taking a language. Also my teacher was Israeli which made it very interesting!
Back to top Go down
James

James

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

tamar wrote:
Are you interested in modern or biblical? I have taken both modern (sephardic Hebrew) and prayer Hebrew through my shul. I have not really been interested in software as it is nice to be in a class with others taking a language. Also my teacher was Israeli which made it very interesting!

I think I irritate some of the older members of my congregation because I want to learn Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi Hebrew.

I didn't grow up with it, and I'd rather learn the Israeli standard since I'm starting from scratch. We've considered buying Rosetta Stone, but it's a big purchase for us. I'm hoping our new rabbi is interested in starting Hebrew classes when he gets here in August. Our current rabbi only offers it for the B'nai Mitzah class.
Back to top Go down
tamar

tamar

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm

James wrote:
tamar wrote:

I think I irritate some of the older members of my congregation because I want to learn Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi Hebrew.

I didn't grow up with it, and I'd rather learn the Israeli standard since I'm starting from scratch. We've considered buying Rosetta Stone, but it's a big purchase for us. I'm hoping our new rabbi is interested in starting Hebrew classes when he gets here in August. Our current rabbi only offers it for the B'nai Mitzah class.

We have several adult Hebrew teachers, but our shul is one of the only ones to have all the Hebrew classes we have. All our adult learning classes are open to members and non members, Jew and non Jew.

We teach Sephardic Hebrew because that is what is spoken in Israel. The modern Hebrew classes are taught by native Hebrew speakers.

Have you looked around at the other shuls in your area?
Back to top Go down
James

James

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:40 pm

tamar wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no other synagogues in my area; the next closest is in Raleigh, which is about a two-hour drive. Our community isn't large enough to support multiple synagogues (truth be told, it feels like we can't support one some days), and there isn't a lot of demand for classes and such.
Back to top Go down
tamar

tamar

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm

James wrote:
tamar wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no other synagogues in my area; the next closest is in Raleigh, which is about a two-hour drive. Our community isn't large enough to support multiple synagogues (truth be told, it feels like we can't support one some days), and there isn't a lot of demand for classes and such.

My shul charges for classes. They have a member and non member charge and a minimum enrollment so that the teachers salary is covered for the class. Even then it is reasonable and we pull from outside the shul for classes. I took the classes for a few years as a non member.

Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 pm

James wrote:

Eh, let them be irritated. It makes much more sense to learn Sephardic Hebrew.
Back to top Go down
searchinmyroots

searchinmyroots

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

klyff wrote:

Many thanks.

I know where you could learn Hebrew at your own pace with a great teacher for free!

Let Guy (he is the teacher) know what you are looking for and he will hook you up with the right learning materials.

There are several people learning Hebrew there and it seems to be going very well.

Hope it works out for you!

Here is the link:

http://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/
Back to top Go down
Sarit

Sarit

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Thank you for the link, searchinmyroots! I've registered and I'm already browsing through the forum! Thumps Up
Back to top Go down
searchinmyroots

searchinmyroots

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Sarit wrote:
Thank you for the link, searchinmyroots! I've registered and I'm already browsing through the forum! Thumps Up

My pleasure Sarit! :)

Don't be shy about asking any questions. Guy will get you going from wherever you may be in your learning.

and the best part is, it is his passion to teach Hebrew!

Glad you found the forum useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding learning Hebrew   Questions regarding learning Hebrew Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding learning Hebrew
Page 1 of 1