Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Salvia

Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas Empty
PostSubject: Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas   Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi everybody,

-EDIT- after reading up on hamentashen, I have this nasty feeling I basically reinvented those. Which is a bit like reinventing the wheel. But oh well...

I thought I'd share a recipe :)
These...cookies/pasties I have invented myself this week, but they are based on:
1. Claudia Roden's recipe for boreka-dough
2. a friend telling me that in Catalunya they make sweet empanadas (=borekas)
3. reading a recipe for southern French dried-prune filled Mardi Gras-pasties.

So these are jewish-spanish-catholic pasties! But I think they might inspire you for purim-treats :)
So you need, for the filling:
300 gram dried prunes, chopped in small pieces
2 tablespoons of fluid honey (you can warm solid honey, as I did)
2 cm of fresh ginger of a piece as thick as your middle finger, chopped as finely as you'd chop garlic
Cinnamon to taste.

This part is easy. Just mix everything!

For the dough:
125 ml lukewarm water
125 ml olive oil
a pinch of salt
350-500 g flour, or as much as it takes until your dough is ready

First, put the water, oil and salt in a large boil, and mix with a spoon or 'fouette' (no idea what it's called, the thing you mix dough with) until they form one emulsion
Then, add the flour, bit by bit. Start with one spoonfull and mix it in until no pieces are left.
Keep adding flour, first by mixing with a spoon or fouette, later with with your hands, until you have a firm dough ball that doesn't stick tou your hands. Actually put in as much flour as you think possible before the dough starts to fall apart.
Then roll it out as thin as you can (and it can be rolled REALLY thin) and cut out rounds of app. 10 centimters in diameter. I use a coffee bowl to measure. Put a heaped teaspoon of prune filling .on the round, and fold it so that you make a crescent moon shape. Close the round sides very well by folding the dough - if you do this well you form some kind of semicircular bag-formed thingies. Like alternative Hamentaschen Very Happy
Continue making empanadas until you're either out of dough or out of filling. (If dough is left you can always fill it with something else...apples and cinnamon, anyone?)
Bake 30 minutes on 180°C

Voila :)
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas   Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

For "fouette" do you mean a whisk?:
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--34780/whisk.asp

Your cookies do sound like hamentaschen except for being folded differently, but that's timely since Purim is in only 10 days.
Back to top Go down
Salvia

PostSubject: Re: Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas   Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 am

Yes, I meant a whisk!!
Sorry!!
And next time I'll fold them like hamentaschen - just in time for Purim ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas   Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas Empty

Back to top Go down

Salvia's parvé prune-empanadas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: The Kitchen-
Jump to: