HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Daily Prayer/Ritual

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skyeryder

PostSubject: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Hullo...

I was wondering...what is the daily ritual/practice?

I've heard that the Sh'ma should be said at least twice day, but other than that are there more prayers? Are food blessings over food that are said? Are there morning or night time prayers?

When praying, is there specific subject matter I should be addressing...or a length of time? I feel like it all depends on the person...but..I'm clueless lol! 

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
James

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I'd suggest finding a siddur (prayer book) that appeals to you.

There are 3 prayer services per day, and they follow a set liturgy: shacharit (morning), mincha (afternoon), and maariv (evening). A siddur will help explain the order, and most will offer explanations, commentary, food blessing, and the waking and bedtime prayers.

Each movement has their own (and sometimes several), and there are many independent ones out there as well.
Back to top Go down
Sarit

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 am

What James said!

I have our local siddur our rabbi prepared for the congregation, but I think that you may find a solid number of siddurim online in the pdf format, and you can also see what siddur they have in the synagogue where you go!

Start with Shema in the morning and in the evening before sleep, and for the rest consult your rabbi and the siddur! :)
Back to top Go down
skyeryder

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks! I got my hands on a travel sized siddur that our congregation uses. It has beautiful prayers and songs, but for some reason it's a bit hard for me to follow. It's on loan anyway so I might go about finding a different one. I'll do a search online.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm

A siddur is meant to be used by someone who already knows what to do and just needs to know the words or details. So it is not really appropriate for your needs. Although I have not read either of the following two books by Hayim Donin myself, I have heard good things about them:
To Be a Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life
To Pray As A Jew
Back to top Go down
skyeryder

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:48 am

lol, that explains it. Thank you, I'll check those books out!
Back to top Go down
Dena

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 pm

skyeryder wrote:
Thanks! I got my hands on a travel sized siddur that our congregation uses. It has beautiful prayers and songs,  but for some reason it's a bit hard for me to follow. It's on loan anyway so I might go about finding a different one. I'll do a search online.

Which one is it? Some are more difficult to follow than others.
Back to top Go down
skyeryder

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:15 pm

It's called Mishkan Tefilah for Travelers. Is that even a siddur...wouldn't it say siddur?
Back to top Go down
Dena

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I have the regular Mishkan Tefilah and I find it really difficult to follow. I have a Siddur Sim Shalom that I think is easier.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 pm

Mishkan Tefilah is indeed a siddur put out by the Reform movement. It can be hard to follow because it has so many different alternative readings. Sim Shalom is the standard Conservative siddur and is more straightforward because it assumes more uniformity in usage. Nevertheless, like all general purpose siddurim, you have to skip around for any given service. For example, the regular Sim Shalom for Shabbat and weekdays since it may have both weekday and Shabbat services, or even the "Slim Shalom" for Shabbat and festivals (but not weekdays) has the different parts for various holidays.

It took me many years (decades, really) to learn all the parts of various services well enough that I can figure out where in a siddur the service is in traditional congregations like mine or an Orthodox one in which page numbers are mostly not called out. I now know all the parts of the service and their order so I can find them in a siddur. I was lucky that when I was new to Judaism, I had my husband to help show me the right page.

Coincidentally, tomorrow we are having breakfast with a old friend who now lives in NYC and is going to be in our area for a conference. She was a new prospective convert almost 30 years ago who went to the university Hillel as a lapsed Catholic "seeker", but knowing nothing at all about Judaism. She told us just a few years ago that she will never forget how grateful she was that my husband was at Hillel for her first visit and noticed that she seemed lost. So he kindly helped her to get a siddur and showed her which pages the service was on. She converted with a Conservative beit din a few years later.

Last edited by Debbie B. on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikedoyleblogger

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm

This may help, too. In February I wrote a blog post on learning to daven three times a day from a Reform perspective. Find it here: Three a Day the RJ Way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chicagocarless.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daily Prayer/Ritual   

Back to top Go down

Daily Prayer/Ritual
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Jewish Fundamentals :: Jewish Ritual and Mitzvot-
Jump to: