Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discussing Conversion with Students

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Discussing Conversion with Students Empty
PostSubject: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 2:04 am

I was asked to discuss my conversion with some third year Rabbinical students. If it were you, what would you talk about?
Back to top Go down
mikedoyleblogger

mikedoyleblogger

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm

One of the questions my beit din asked was how I made sense out of the fact that, as a convert, I participated in the life of my synagogue community more consistently than many longtime, lifelong Jews in our congregation. I answered that I had already come to the conclusion that there is a prophetic aspect of being a Jewish convert. That part of the role we adopt as converts is to serve as an example to Jews-by-birth about the worth, depth, and meaning of living Jewishly that sometimes gets forgotten about or that sometimes born Jews lose faith in. So if it were me, I would discuss the inherent leadership role of those who join the Jewish people, and how the rabbis might honor and develop that role in the synagogue communities that they will eventually lead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chicagocarless.com
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 pm

My Rabbi got back to me about what they want. How did I become a Jew by choice - what was the process like - what helped and what would have been more helpful. That's on Monday so I'll have to get started thinking about what I'd like to say.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Alright, tonight is the night. I did learn it's going to be a panel so I won't be standing up all by myself or anything. I will be asked questions which hopefully I can answer. Wink and Smile
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:11 pm

I am biting my nails in fright for you!!! My heart is racing and its not even me :-p I have stage fright. Hashem give you wisdom, knowledge and understanding to be a guiding light!
Back to top Go down
mikedoyleblogger

mikedoyleblogger

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Good luck. Also...have fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chicagocarless.com
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:23 am

It was fun. I love talking about Judaism! I wasn't nervous at all and I talked quite a bit. My Rabbi said I was fantastic and she's so proud but she might be a bit biased. I was afraid I might offend people when I talked about how I think Halacha is binding (since they are Reform students) and I was asked a couple questions about it but they just seemed interested, not annoyed. My Rabbi has the address for this site now and wants to share with others. Maybe we'll pick up some new members along the way.
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 am

A natural ;-) Was there a memorable question from your students that you can share?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Conversion with Students   Discussing Conversion with Students Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussing Conversion with Students
Page 1 of 1