HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Red Tent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dena

PostSubject: The Red Tent   Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:45 pm

It's not Jewish book per se but it's written by a Jewish author and tells a fictional story of the Matriarchs. Pretty controversial from what I gather given it's subject matter and yhe switching around of stories - Jacob is not tricked into marry Leah, Dinah was married to the Prince of Schechem, Laban was a total pervert, Rebecca was a hateful wench, Jacob's wives had many gods, etc.

None of that bothered me but I just couldn't get into it. I think it was a bit shallow perhaps? I got about halfway through and called it quits. Many people like it though, so it's just a matter of taste I guess.
Back to top Go down
Bee

PostSubject: Re: The Red Tent   Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Hmm ...Talmud is controversial enough for me! I'm currently reading Rambam story and In the service of the king...and my hubby also bought me a few books on women's duties and halachas...good luck making me read those!!! All I got from an excerpt is Rabbi Akivas mandate for husbands to give wives money for beauty every month ...that is one I cash in every few weeks ;-)
Back to top Go down
Mychal

PostSubject: Re: The Red Tent   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 pm

I read it years ago, when I was a teen. I liked it, but then I didn't know anything about Judaism then, either.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
EstherK

PostSubject: Re: The Red Tent   Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 am

I am with you Dena, it was one of those books I couldn't get into. It seemed a little far fetched, but some people love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewishconversionsupport.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Red Tent   

Back to top Go down

The Red Tent
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: Humor and Entertainment-
Jump to: