Share | 

My conversion begins... well, sort of.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
reappearhere

PostSubject: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 am

First topic message reminder :

After about 6 months of serious contemplation, I decided in October to undertake conversion. The highly redeeming experience of the Yom Kippur fast was the tipping point. I knew at that moment that I was a Jew. I immediately petitioned the nearest reform temple for conversion. I was asked to wait and e-mail the Rabbi again after Sukkot. I did and we set an appointment.

I made a whole day out of it (especially since the Temple is an hour and 30 minutes' drive on a good traffic day).

Once I was in front of the Rabbi, I feel like I choked when he asked me that ever-begging question: Why do you want to be a Jew? I gave him a sloppy spiel about my experience with Judaism and how I felt it was an intellectually rich tradition, and so forth. The real reason, which I knew but which just didn't come forth when needed, was that the Jewish tradition is the first and only one which makes me want to hope in the existence of G-d and which makes me want to be a better individual. Bam. That was the answer and I couldn't manage to spit it out.

Luckily, the Rabbi noticed my nervousness and didn't make a big deal about it. After inquiring about my life and learning that I am currently a law student who will be 3 to 4 years in a city with almost no Jewish community, he asked me how I planned on being Jewish in a place like that. I didn't have an answer because I thought rabbis were there to help you figure things like that out. I simply reminded him that I live an hour and a half away from one of Canada's largest cities, so it's not like I'm isolated in the middle of nowhere.

I'm single, so he asked me how I plan on meeting a Jewish girl in my current city with so few Jews. I told him I didn't plan on getting married before graduation anyway. I also mentioned (perhaps shouldn't have) that if I did happen to meet and fall in love with a gentile girl, I would simply ask her to convert. He kind of laughed and admitted it was possible, though he didn't seem to approve of it very much.

At this point, I was thinking to myself that I blew it and that I'd have to go to the Conservatives. I mean, it was a Reform rabbi I was talking to here and his main concern seemed to be whether or not I would eventually marry Jewish, which I found kind of odd considering that the appointment he had before me was clearly a case of pre-marital conversion. But anyway, not a big deal.

Finally, he got down to brass tacks and started laying out the process. He said I would have to start with the Intro class. There is one starting in January but the class is held at a time that conflicts with my school schedule (and the law faculty does not negotiate schedules, you get what you get). So he said that I would probably have to wait for next fall in hopes that my class schedule would permit me to make the weekly drive to and from the Big City.

After Intro, he said there's a Bible class that is given online which we would discuss on a weekly basis.

All in all, if I remember correctly, he said it would take around 9 months once I actually start classes (which is on top of the 9 months I have to wait before classes begin).

I'm glad to have at least begun the process. I was hoping to get started earlier, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Any advice, thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
James

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:09 am

Wow, that is great to hear, reappearhere!

Back to top Go down
maculated

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Life has such funny twists and turns. I'm so glad you found something that works for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.about.me/kristin.mcnamara
Dena

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 pm

I would go crazy driving that far for class (I hate driving) but good for you!!!
Back to top Go down
Mychal

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

I too started out in the Reform movement, but left when the rabbis--after making me wait for a year--told me that they didn't have time to convert me. I ended up at the Conservative synagogue and have actually begun the process.

Makes me curious about how many other people started out in one movement, but ended up in another before completing their conversion.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
reappearhere

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm

So it's been more than two years since I took the decision to convert, and I am very happy to say that the process is complete since last week. I took my first aliyah this past Shabbat, and I truly couldn't be happier with the way things turned out.

I'd be happy to respond to anyone's questions, so don't hesitate to ask me anything about Conservative conversion.

I wish everyone a hearty Chag Sameach, and hope all is well.
Back to top Go down
James

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Mazel tov and Chanukah sameach!

Back to top Go down
Dena

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 am

Mazel Tov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
LineyLu

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Yasher koach!!!!
Back to top Go down
reappearhere

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Many thanks!Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Salvia

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Wow!! mazel tov, and chag chanuka sameach Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My conversion begins... well, sort of.   

Back to top Go down

My conversion begins... well, sort of.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Jewish Fundamentals :: Conversion Discussion & Issues-
Jump to: