Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Latkes Without Flour?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Latkes Without Flour? Empty
PostSubject: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 am

Do you use flour when you make latkes? All the recipes I've seen except one calls for flour. I'm gluten free so I used a gluten free all purpose flour but are there ways to avoid flour all together? I had someone tell me today they didn't know flour was even used. So maybe I'm missing something?
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 am

wow, latkes yummm. I have not had or seen them in years...I wish we lived in a Jewish community. In california they were on everyone's menu's. Here, I have to travel to austin texas (nearest big city) to an HEB store just to get a box of mazto balls. I don't know if there are restaurants in San Antonio or Dallas which are at least 3.5 hours away. My husband doesn't love me enough to take me out there to find out. I guess I can learn to make them...thats an idea. If I tell my husband I am going to attempt to he just might get scared and take me to Dallas to look for a restaurant.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:41 am

Bee wrote:
wow, latkes yummm. I have not had or seen them in years...I wish we lived in a Jewish community. In california they were on everyone's menu's. Here, I have to travel to austin texas (nearest big city) to an HEB store just to get a box of mazto balls. I don't know if there are restaurants in San Antonio or Dallas which are at least 3.5 hours away. My husband doesn't love me enough to take me out there to find out. I guess I can learn to make them...thats an idea. If I tell my husband I am going to attempt to he just might get scared and take me to Dallas to look for a restaurant.

I made latkes today and it's really not that difficult. I don't do matzo balls anymore (even the smell makes me sick to my stomach) but I'm sure you could do those too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:27 am

Did you make a sour cream and cucumber sauce? My mouth is salivating, details please. The first time I had them was when I was a teachers assistant and she was from new York, she did them for the class. What do you serve it with and how did it come out without flour?
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 8:22 am

Bee wrote:
Did you make a sour cream and cucumber sauce? My mouth is salivating, details please. The first time I had them was when I was a teachers assistant and she was from new York, she did them for the class. What do you serve it with and how did it come out without flour?

I usually have sour cream in the refrigerator. I didn't serve anything with them, except apple sauce. Very Happy I did use the gluten free flour but I just wasn't sure I always need to use flour.
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 pm

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Latkes-104406
this recipe doesn't use flour
I don't recall having applesauce with latkes, its been at least 10 years since I had any. I am going to make our family traditional buñuelos or churros for Chanukah that we did growing up for special holidays and some mexican hot chocolate. I am surprising my husband, he really gets nervous when I fry stuff. I have scars from a few months ago when I attempted to make fried chicken. I had burn marks on my hands and neck, all my friends who saw me forbid me to get near the stove. We dont normally eat fried food so I had no idea how dangerous it was to fry chicken. When I was little I never got burnt cooking...I guess I am a little rusty.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Dena,

Most latkes recipes have a small amount of flour or matzah meal (to make them kosher for Passover) because it works better to have something starchy in addition to the egg to bind the shredded potatoes together.

Bee,

Churros are perfect for Chanukkah. Are you of Mexican heritage?

For the past couple of years, my contribution to my minyan's Chanukkah potluck has been vegetarian fried won ton. They were very popular. But this year we will miss the party because leaving for vacation on December 25, the night of the party. I just bought this Chanukkah menorah which will allow us to more easily celebrate the holiday while traveling:
Glowing Menorah
I just hope the TSA doesn't decide that the glow sticks have forbidden "chemicals" and confiscate them. I'll put some in our checked luggage as well, just in case. I think this menorah would work well for families with young children despite the warning "Requires adult supervision for children under 12 years of age" since even very young children could shake the glow sticks after they are activated and place them in the holder. In the past when we have traveled during Chanukkah, we've lit candles in hotel bathrooms and been worried that we would set off the smoke alarms.
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes ma'am, I am first born Mexican American generation in my familia. My mothers family comes from Durango and biological father from Ecuador. My husband is also first born American from his side, his father migrated from the Philippines and married a Mexican woman. Not exactly kosher foods on either side ;-)
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes I would check the lights in baggage, Happy Chanukah and safe journey!
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Bee, yesterday was the first time I've ever made latkes and the first time I've ever fried anything anything in oil. I made my husband put in the first latke because I was nervous. Razz

Debbie, where will you be going for vacation?
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Dena wrote:
Bee, yesterday was the first time I've ever made latkes and the first time I've ever fried anything anything in oil. I made my husband put in the first latke because I was nervous. Razz
So funny Razz you have a brave husband. I read online how to make them and the issue of what happens if not drained enough...scary!
Back to top Go down
James

James

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 pm

My wife makes it with flour, and we use matzah meal for the latkes when we make them at the synagogue (we made them for 4 hours straight yesterday for the BBYO's Hanukkah pageant).

Like Debbie said, it works to bind the other ingredients together and hold it all in one piece when you fry it.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 4:13 pm

The gluten free flour worked really well. I just don't always have it around. I have no idea how long I can keep it. Maybe I should put it in the freezer? I know flour keeps longer in the freezer.
Back to top Go down
James

James

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Dena wrote:
The gluten free flour worked really well. I just don't always have it around. I have no idea how long I can keep it. Maybe I should put it in the freezer? I know flour keeps longer in the freezer.

Yeah, put it in the freezer. We store ours in there.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Dena wrote:
Debbie, where will you be going for vacation?

We're going to Tanzania, Africa. Trip made possible by a very generous couple I refer to as my "surrogate in-laws".

About flour in the freezer: we certainly have no need to extend the shelf-life of flour in my house since we go through a 5 lb bag every few weeks. My husband uses about 2 pounds per week for baking challah and my daughter often bakes banana bread and muffins for bake sales and club events at her high school.

Funny story about flour that was definitely "too old":
When a Cub Scout pack was started at my son's elementary school, I came into possession of a big box of materials left from the last time there was a pack at that school---probably at least six years before since there was no sign of a pack when my daughter started kindergarten at that school. In the box was an unopened 5 lb bag of flour sealed in a zip lock freezer bag. I warned my husband not to use that flour, but made the mistake of leaving it in the kitchen. That week as usual, my husband made two beautiful braided loaves of challah. But they tasted awful!!!! tongue
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Debbie B. wrote:

We're going to Tanzania, Africa. Trip made possible by a very generous couple I refer to as my "surrogate in-laws".

That should be awesome! I hope you have a safe and interesting trip. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latkes Without Flour?   Latkes Without Flour? Empty

Back to top Go down

Latkes Without Flour?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: The Kitchen-
Jump to: