Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?

Go down 
+5
mikedoyleblogger
Samantha
Dena
Rocky_girl
esf
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
esf

esf

How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how long people studied one-on-one with their Rabbi's before your Rabbi set a date for Beit Din and mikvah? I've read the other posts about how long you were interested in Judaism, or doing classes etc, and I realize everyone will be different, but I guess I'm just looking for some other experiences.

I've been talking with my Rabbi at least monthly for over a year now, attending services regularly, and he seems generally happy with me, but not in any hurry to set a date. I don't want to rush things, but by this stage I just feel like I'm ready to be Jewish! (I attended a synagogue for the first time over 6 years ago, and have been learning in various ways ever since, including doing the 30 week intro to judaism course my current Rabbi recommends)

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
FaustianSlip

FaustianSlip

How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:35 am

Heh, what Dena said. After I had my inaugural aliyah during services (the week after my beit din), I had all of these random people from my synagogue coming up to me going, "Hey, just so you know, we're everywhere," and it's true! I'm pretty open about the fact that I'm a convert, but I even have people I've worked and socialized with for a while now who have no idea that I wasn't born Jewish, mostly because it's not something that comes up all that often. I'm just Jewish. But I can almost guarantee that when you actually take the plunge, so to speak, you'll find out that people you've known at shul for a while are themselves converts.

As far as study time, I studied with my rabbi for about eight months, maybe a little less. My case was kind of weird in that we were working with a deadline, because I was due to ship out to China for my job on X date, so the mikvah and beit din had to happen before then. I had also been learning and practicing Jewishly for a solid ten years before that, so in terms of my Jewish literacy, I was in pretty good shape; my education was geared more toward social Judaism than the religious aspects. My rabbi had given me some essays to write, and it took me a while to sit down and really work through them. Literally a week or so after I sent them to him, he called me in and started planning dates for the beit din. Heh.

I think my timeline worked out pretty well; the only thing I might have done differently would have been to convert sooner in order to give myself more time as a full member of the community before I left for China, but that's pretty minor, in the grand scheme of things.
Back to top Go down
esf

esf

PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:34 am

Lol, fair enough. Let me rephrase that into "I don't know anyone that talks to me about their experience as a convert IRL".

Saw my rabbi again last week, and I still feel like I have so much to study that I didn't mention anything about being ready and neither did he. (Though I feel like I will ALWAYS have so much to study; its just that I'm ready to study it as a Jew!).
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 am

How are things going, esf?
Back to top Go down
esf

esf

PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 am

Fine, fine.. still studying away happily and meeting every 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
missilehimalaya

PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 am

11 months with a Masorti Rabbi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?   How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How long did you study one on one with your Rabbi before conversion?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2