Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shalom :)

Go down 
+3
Mychal
Dena
MarieDeLucy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MarieDeLucy

Shalom :) Empty
PostSubject: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Hello all :)

My name is Lucille, but I go by the name Marie. Nice to meet everyone here. My start with Judaism is quite confusing, so I will just start from the beginning XD

My fathers family is partly Jewish, however half of them are catholics. I can remember as a small child being exposed to the Jewish members of my family. However, after my father died when I was three, my mother converted to Jehovahs witness when I was very young, and I never saw my fathers side of the family again.

As at the age of ten, I was made to study the bible from a Jehovahs witness perspective. I knew right away that it was not something that I was comfortable following. When I was thirteen my mom met her exboyfriend (boyfriend at the time) Robert, and since he was an athiest, she dropped her religion on a dime, and became a nonaffiliated christian.

During this time, my mother did not allow religious discussion. We were to believe that god exists, and not allowed to question anything to do with our religion. We did not go to church, we just "Existed." I was not satisfied with this and began to study alternative religions on my own throughout highschool, with out my mothers knowlege. I have studied extensively Wicca, Paganism, christianity, Isam, Mormonism, zoroastrianism, and hinduism. None of them felt "right" to me. I started studying Judaism when I was sixteen for the first time, and I was facinated by it!

I ended up going to college when I was seventeen, and met my husband. His family also has Jewish ties. His grandfather was born jewish, but converted to Catholic when he married his Catholic wife. His father then converted to methodist when he married his methodist wife :) Confusing I know. Our wedding was Kosher because many of his Jewish relatives came to our wedding. We lived with my husbands parents for a year after we were married, and went to church every sunday. It did not feel right to me, and I continued to study the Torah on my own. After we moved out I did not continue to go to church, I continued my personal studies.

I am 22 now. It has taken me a couple of years, two kids and a recent divorce later to really realize what it is that I want. I have lived in my current city for four months, and didnt even know there was synagogue. It is a very small city. I have recently contacted the Rabbi there in hopes of finding a class to study in so that I can start down the path of conversion. I have considered myself a Jew for a long time, and all my friends consider me to be a Jew, I just want to make it official :)

If youve made it through my looong post, thank you for reading :)

Once again, nice to meet you!

Lucille
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Marie! It's nice to meet you.
Back to top Go down
MarieDeLucy

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Thank you :)
Back to top Go down
Mychal

Mychal

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm

It's not uncommon for the descendents of Jews who fall out (or convert out) to come back.

You might identify with the book "Turbulent Souls." It's written by the youngest child of a very observant Catholic family. Both his mother and father, however, were born Jews and ended up converting to Christianity before they met. The author later became a practicing Jew and began reclaiming some of their lost relatives.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
MarieDeLucy

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 pm

I dont even know any of my dad family. It has been twenty years since Ive seen any of them, and my family is pretty much all gone. Im doing this by myself...like Ive done most things. Thank you for the book reccomendation. Mychal...I think I was up reading your blog til 4 am! I read every sing entry. Thank you, it really helped me out a lot!
Back to top Go down
shalomrick

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am

Hi Marie!
Back to top Go down
MarieDeLucy

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:03 am

Hello Rick :)
Back to top Go down
diana113

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi, Marie. Mychal is right; Turbulent Souls might suit you. At the moment, I'm reading "Becoming Jewish" (2011) by Jennifer Hanin, a former Catholic. This is an entirely practical book. diana
Back to top Go down
MarieDeLucy

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions :)
Back to top Go down
SaraK

SaraK

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi! You're on tumblr too right? I think I follow you.
Back to top Go down
MarieDeLucy

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 am

Hi, yeah I just made a tumblr. It has a little bit more information on it than this one does. I was in a big type-y spill my guts kind of mood. Thank you for following :)
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice to meet you :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shalom :)   Shalom :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Shalom :)