Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

a thought

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cinhoo

a thought Empty
PostSubject: a thought   a thought EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 pm

How many of you think that we could have another holocaust in our life time? I've been reading about the holocaust, and i just was wondering what you thought
cindi
Back to top Go down
maculated

maculated

a thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: a thought   a thought EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 am

That's kind of the worry. It's always possible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.about.me/kristin.mcnamara
Sarit

Sarit

a thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: a thought   a thought EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I was reading a lot about the Holocaust too, and also about the contemporary sociocultural responses about it. What really concerns me, saddens me and even scares me is that the average knowledge about the Holocaust is so little and so superficial. Actually, a lot of people don't know much about the Holocaust (I'm speaking of the people in my country - for example, I work with college students so I have the opportunity to talk a lot with them and see what they know and how they think); they have only the minimum of knowledge, some numbers and names and that's all. All that history is just something that happened to someone else for them, which they don't really understand and of which they will rather not think about. Consequently, they don't realize the importance of the lesson to be learned - not to forget and not to let it happen again.

I will not even talk about the ever-present antisemitism that keeps existing to this very day.

So yes, I agree with maculated. It's always possible.

Last edited by Sarit on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar; oooooooops!)
Back to top Go down
Mychal

Mychal

a thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: a thought   a thought EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm

I studied the Holocaust in high school and college and I'm firmly of the opinion it's not if there will be another one, but when. I think the "where" is probably a given: Israel. If something's not done to stop Iran, we may very well see widespread destruction of the Jews in Israel in our lifetime.

The fact that Germany has banned circumcision, the French president declared that no country could be Jewish anymore than a table could be Catholic (despite the fact that there are many countries which clearly identify and govern as Catholic or Muslim), and the E.U. and U.N. are pretty hostile towards Israel is also alarming.

See, it's the same old European antisemitism in sheep's clothing. Since the Holocaust, it's not been PC to hate Jews, so now everyone hates Israel, because it's okay to hate a country. But when you see that no other country gets as much hate as Israel (even countries committing genocide, like Sudan and Rwanda, have been admonished by the U.N. much less than Israel), it's easy to see that hating on Israel isn't legitimate or rational: it's antisemitism.

In the same vein, it's wrong to oppress a religion, but it's okay to deny religious practices on medical/humanitarian reasons. The very fact that circumcision has been declared a "serious and irreversible interference in the integrity of the human body" in Germany implies that Jews (and Muslims) who perform it are barbarians/baby butchers.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
Dena

Dena

a thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: a thought   a thought EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't know. Is it possible? Yes. Does that mean it's definitely going to happen? No. There are a lot of people who hate Israel but there are also a lot of people who support Israel. In this country, if a President sat by and watched Jews slaughtered without doing a thing it would probably be political suicide. In another 20, 50 or 100 years though, that may not be the case at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: a thought   a thought Empty

Back to top Go down

a thought
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Jewish Life :: Society and Culture-
Jump to: