Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Headcoverings by Devorah

Go down 
+2
rakhel
Dena
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Headcoverings by Devorah - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Headcoverings by Devorah   Headcoverings by Devorah - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Headcovering By Devorah

I bought two knit kippot from Devorah since I can't knit. I have to say they are well made and look nice. Not sure what I am going to do with them but I wanted to see how they looked. Shipping is a little slow but the price of her product is very reasonable.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

PostSubject: Re: Headcoverings by Devorah   Headcoverings by Devorah - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm

When the mother of a friend was widowed, she asked her Conservative rabbi if she could stop covering her hair in shul (being Conservative, she had not covered her hair every day). He said it was permissible for her to go uncovered which is what she had been hoping he would say.

Most aspects of Jewish observance vary in implementation by community. "Dress codes" especially vary, and not just by movement. There are more liberal shuls where the standard of dress for synagogue is more formal than that of more traditional shuls. I was amused to find that at the Orthodox shul that some friends and neighbors attend, the women mostly wore skirts that are just barely over their knees when they are standing. So I suppose I looked rather dowdy to be wearing a skirt that was down to the mid-calf. But in other Orthodox communities, the women all wear skirts that go all the way to the floor. In my minyan, most women wear skirts to the mid-calf, but some wear shorter and some wear floor length (and the same woman might vary week to week), and perhaps one or two might wear pants (including a woman who is a rabbi whom I have never seen in a skirt).

There are also weird minhagim that have nothing to do with Halacha, such as the color red being thought of as "immodest" for women to wear in some very right wing Orthodox communities.

You should take into account that many Orthodox rabbis will state as an absolute something that is not done that way even in other Orthodox communities. For example, wigs are not permissible as head cover for married women in some Orthodox communities, even though they are considered the "proper" head cover for married women in others. Conservative rabbis are more likely to tell you that a range of opinions is permissible, but respect for multiple opinions (which is not the same as saying that anything is OK) is an important aspect of Conservative Judaism.
Back to top Go down
Samantha

Samantha

PostSubject: Re: Headcoverings by Devorah   Headcoverings by Devorah - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 am

This is one of my very favourite subjects - although I'm a UK Liberal Jew I have taken on many aspects of tzniut, including wearing a headcovering when davening and wearing skirts past the knee. I'm not married, but would love to cover my head more often. I find it an extremely beautiful mitzvah to adopt and believe it enhances my Jewish identity.

At the moment I'm wearing a lot of knitted hats so that I can get away with covering more often both in everyday wear and when in synagogue and nobody bats an eyelid - I don't even think many people realise why I don't remove my hat when inside. I consider it an act of respect to have my head covered when davening (and boy do I love picking out pretty hats, haha!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headcoverings by Devorah   Headcoverings by Devorah - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Headcoverings by Devorah
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: Health and Beauty-
Jump to: