Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What appeals to you most about Judaism?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shocheradam

shocheradam

What appeals to you most about Judaism? Empty
PostSubject: What appeals to you most about Judaism?   What appeals to you most about Judaism? EmptyTue May 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Everyone has a different set of reasons for why Judaism feels "right" to them; I thought I'd share mine and see if other converts and potential converts have similar experiences.

For me, more than anything, the idea that G-d is NOT waiting to smack me down for making a mistake is huge. Another thing that really appeals to me is that it's not about some nebulous afterlife; it's about what we do here, now, to and with other people.

Having rituals to deal with some of life's more difficult moments (like grieving) also appeals to me. When my father died in 2009, I was an absolute wreck for more than a year. Being able to sit shiva for him would have really helped me deal with his untimely passing.

The fact that in Judaism, G-d does not demand perfection or set us up to fail is a really big "draw." The way I grew up in Christian churches, G-d was always a stern, angry taskmaster who wouldn't put up with anything imperfect. It was a difficult way to grow up.

I'd be interested to hear from others about what draws or drew them to Judaism.
Back to top Go down
James

James

What appeals to you most about Judaism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What appeals to you most about Judaism?   What appeals to you most about Judaism? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 6:44 am

For me, I think that the most central reason is that Judaism is much more that just a religion; it's a religion, a philosophy, a worldview, a culture, a family, and an all-encompassing system that becomes our way of life. Judaism influences what we eat, how we dress, how we live, and our interactions with people and the world at large. And I truly believe that if we live life in accord with Torah everything is going to be all right; we will be good people, we will be doing as our Creator wishes, and we will work towards tikkun olam.
Back to top Go down

What appeals to you most about Judaism?
Page 1 of 1