Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat Empty
PostSubject: Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat   Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:01 am

WHAT IS PERMITTED FOR A NON-JEW DO FOR A JEW ON SHABBOS?

The prohibition of amirah l'akum (telling a non-Jew to do a melachah for a Jew on Shabbos) is a Rabbinical ordinance, which has a Biblical source(1). It is, therefore, considered a severe Rabbinic prohibition. We will attempt to establish the parameters of this multi-faceted halachah:

GENERAL RULES

In order to employ a non-Jew to do a melachah on Shabbos, there are two separate restrictions [often confused] that must be borne in mind. Only when neither of the restrictions applies is it permitted for a non-Jew to do work for a Jew on Shabbos. The two restrictions are:

A. To command a non-Jew to do any work that would be prohibited for a Jew to do on Shabbos. The command may not be made either on Shabbos or before Shabbos(2);

B. To benefit directly from work done by a non-Jew for a Jew on Shabbos, even if the non-Jew was not commanded to do the work(3). Our Sages enacted this prohibition so that a person will not be tempted to transgress the prohibition of amirah l'akum and ask a non-Jew to do a melachah for him(4).

Consequently, if a) a non-Jew was not commanded to do the melachah and b) the Jew will not directly benefit from his work, it would be permitted for a Jew to use a non-Jew to work on Shabbos, for in this way, neither prohibition is being transgressed

continued here...

I was a little confused on this issue so I checked it out on torah.org. It makes more sense now though I would be interested to know if there are other rulings on the same subject.
Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat   Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am

Oh, I have notes on this from Shabbos Tractate. I was shocked because I thought gentiles can do things for Jews on Shabbat. Must get to bed now but later tonight I will share my notes.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

PostSubject: Re: Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat   Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am

I thought it was not allowed. Then I kept hearing it was allowed so I was confused.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat   Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-Jew Helping Jews on Shabbat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Jewish Fundamentals :: Torah and Halacha-
Jump to: