Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Your Conversion

Go down 
+3
James
Dena
rakhel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rakhel

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 pm

I figured since this the conversion section of the forum I thought it might suit to discuss conversions in this section.

So a few questions.(and I do know some of it may sound a bit odd until you think about them)

When did you know you were Jewish?

If you have converted, how long, and how many times, did it take before you convinced a rabbi to help you convert?

If you have not completed the process, how long, and how many times did it take you to convince a rabbi to help you?

How did your family react?

Is there anything you wished you had known before, during and after the conversion that you know now?

you know. simple easy questions, nothing to hard. Cool
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 pm

rakhel wrote:

I'd say about 18 months or so after I started researching Judaism. Then again, I'm still struggling with the idea because everyday I hear or read something that says I am not really Jewish. Over and over again - an article, a video, an organization, a post on a forum. It's everywhere and I can't help but to take it personally, even if I shouldn't.

rakhel wrote:

If you have converted, how long, and how many times, did it take before you convinced a rabbi to help you convert?

I met with seven Rabbis before I chose. One of them was Orthodox but my intent wasn't to convert at that time. Another was Conservative and though he didn't say it was impossible, he told me to go try a Unitarian Church first. The others didn't need much convincing. I had written up my story for them beforehand so they knew where I stood. All of them felt I had clearly reached a point where I was ready to start the process. One did meet with my husband first too.

rakhel wrote:

My mother sobbed, my father had a long talk with me, my cousin asked questions, my aunt has never mentioned it but does acknowledge I will not eat certain foods. My brother doesn't talk about it in person but has apparently said he doesn't want me with our family on Christmas. Mostly, they just ignore it. My SIL thought it was awesome and she's been to shul with me. My husband's Muslim uncle also thought it was awesome. He was more excited than anyone else has been which surprised me. My Grandmother-in-Law wanted to know when I am going to study Catholicism. I told her I'd try to get around to it one day.

I think that once we have children there will be more to deal with in regards to family.

rakhel wrote:
Is there anything you wished you had known before, during and after the conversion that you know now?

Yes but I am not sure I want to discuss it. Where I ended up is not necessarily where I thought I would be and I wish I had done a few things a little different, I admit.

Back to top Go down
James

James

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 am

rakhel wrote:

I can't really answer that one yet, but I can say that I began to really identify with Judaism about five months ago, or shortly after I started attending services and spending time with the community. A lot of things "clicked" for me when I was studying, but never like this. Now I'm arguing theological points with the rabbi, discussing synagogue politics with members, and getting calls to help out with Sunday school. I've also found myself jumping to their defense, and I've been catching myself saying "we" instead of "them" lately. I know I'm not Jewish yet, but I'm beginning to feel that way.

rakhel wrote:
If you have not completed the process, how long, and how many times did it take you to convince a rabbi to help you?

It seems like I have to reconvince him every week. I met with him a weeks ago and he decided that he would allow my convert ( and that was after six months of attending services and telling him I wanted to convert). I think I spent an hour convincing him after he made the decision! And this past Shabbat, I had reassure him, once again, that my wife and children do not go to a Christian church.

rakhel wrote:

Better than I expected actually. My mother initially gave me grief, but has mellowed out considerably. My sisters ask me questions often, and one has attended service with me once.

My wife supports me and my children roll with it. My youngest one (8 this month) goes with me fairly often and has asked if he can be Jewish too. My daughter (9) goes every now and then but is a bit more reserved. My oldest boys (15 and 13) begrudgingly attend community events.

rakhel wrote:

I can't really say, although I do wish I had access to a larger Jewish community and several synagogues.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

James, why does your Rabbi think your wife attends a church?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewishbychoice.org
James

James

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Admin wrote:
James, why does your Rabbi think your wife attends a church?

I have no clue, to be honest.

Not only have we both told him so, but she works as the synagogue's secretary!
She spends five days a week with the rabbi, including Sundays. She even tried to enroll our youngest two in Sunday school, which the rabbi denied because they aren't Jewish.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:13 pm

That's a little odd. Is this the Rabbi who is retiring?
Back to top Go down
James

James

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Dena Nechama wrote:
That's a little odd. Is this the Rabbi who is retiring?

Yes.

I think he might be losing his mental acuity. I've found that parts of our conversations repeat and he seems to stun the congregation at times.
I'm not familiar enough with the service to tell, but it seems that he misses parts at times. But it's something no one wants to talk about.

Either way, it will work out. If I can't complete things with this rabbi, I'll have to try to work with the new one.
That might be interesting though; I recently found out that both the rabbi and congregation are currently listed as unaffiliated, but they're looking at joining with the USCJ before recruiting a new rabbi.

So we'll see how everything works out.

Back to top Go down
IronGipper

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

rakhel wrote:

[b]I met with seven Rabbis before I chose. One of them was Orthodox but my intent wasn't to convert at that time. Another was Conservative and though he didn't say it was impossible, he told me to go try a Unitarian Church first. The others didn't need much convincing. I had written up my story for them beforehand so they knew where I stood. All of them felt I had clearly reached a point where I was ready to start the process. One did meet with my husband first too.

That's interesting because my rabbi also suggested I try the Unitarian Church.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 pm

IronGipper wrote:

That's interesting because my rabbi also suggested I try the Unitarian Church.

I explained to him that I might as well stay home or join a club.
Back to top Go down
Eliana

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:14 pm

[quote="Dena"]
rakhel wrote:

I have felt Jewish since I was in first grade and learned Hava Nagila, the dreidel song, and the hora. I didn't really understand why though until I was going through my divorce and started reading books about Judaism.

rakhel wrote:

I converted July 27, 2010 after taking classes for a year. I found out about the classes from another person at my old synagogue. I called the rabbi and he told me that I had missed the first 3 classes so I would probably have to wait until the next year. I talked him into speaking with me about it. I met him in his office and told him my story about how I came to Judaism. He told me if I promised to not miss any more classes, I could start the next week. (I have the story I told him written if anyone would like to read it or I could post it, but it is kind of long.)

rakhel wrote:

My father won't speak to me, my brother said "that is so cool! I am going to have a Jewish sister!", my Mom told me if it made me happy, then she was happy, my son was surprised I had not done it before, and my grandmother said "your faith, my faith...whatever. You are my first granddaughter and I will always love you."

rakhel wrote:

I wish I had converted earlier, but that is about it.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Eliana wrote:

I wish I had converted earlier, but that is about it.

I wish I had converted in time for a birthright trip.
Back to top Go down
Eliana

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Samantha

Samantha

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 pm

In all honesty? Since I was about fourteen years old. I was lucky enough to meet a Shoah survivor who came to talk to our school one evening. She was the lady who inspired me to read the Talmud, and that was it.

n/a

I'm in the process of converting (only one month away from the mikvah now!) My Rabbi always knew I was sincere. I attended synagogue services for two weeks and after that I was enrolled into a Judaism 101 course. She didn't take much persuasion - she knew.

My family were a confusing mix of reactions. My grandmother thought it was a phase, my parents were indifferent, and some of my friends were simply baffled. Now they all accept my decision - my grandmother will be at my conversion ceremony.

Not really - I knew a huge amount before I even considered approaching a rabbi. It would have been interesting to know the politics between the movements, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Conversion   Your Conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Conversion
Page 1 of 1