Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How do YOU study Torah?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
esf

esf

How do YOU study Torah? Empty
PostSubject: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Just wondering how everyone here goes about studying Torah and other sacred texts. Do you belong to a study group? Do you always read the weekly Torah portion each week before services? Do you like particular commentaries?
Back to top Go down
searchinmyroots

searchinmyroots

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:41 pm

I try to go to as many Torah type classes as possible.

Right now that includes a Wednesday "Lunch-n-Learn" in the city during work, a class on either Tuesday or Wednesday night at the Jewish Heritage Center and a Sunday class at a Sunday School program for the adults while their children are in class.

Of course only when my schedule permits. Sometimes I go to all, sometimes to maybe only one.
Back to top Go down
tamar

tamar

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 am

My shul has a weekly Torah class that meets on Saturday before services. I try to go as often as I can. I also sign up and attend as many of the adult learning classes as I am able to attend.

I also like the lunch and learn classes that are led by area Rabbis.
Back to top Go down
Mychal

Mychal

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I used to go to Torah study classes at my old shul. I just noticed, at my new shul, that it looks like they have or are just starting Torah study classes on Saturday before service. I haven't decided if I want to go yet, though, as it's pretty early in the morning and our service is 2.5 hours long; it makes for a lot of religion in one sitting, LOL. I might need to work up to it.

In synagogue, everyone is giving a Torah (with Haftorah) to read while the Torah scroll is being read. It has notes and commentary and I enjoy reading it (I also have a Torah with commentary at home, but it's a Reform, not Conservative commentary). I've also noticed that the rabbi likes to spend some time after the Torah reading asking for audience comments regarding an issue brought up in the reading. It's like a short Torah study class with a lot of people in it.
Back to top Go down
http://becomingjew.blog.com/
tamar

tamar

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Mychal wrote:
I used to go to Torah study classes at my old shul. I just noticed, at my new shul, that it looks like they have or are just starting Torah study classes on Saturday before service. I haven't decided if I want to go yet, though, as it's pretty early in the morning and our service is 2.5 hours long; it makes for a lot of religion in one sitting, LOL. I might need to work up to it.

In synagogue, everyone is giving a Torah (with Haftorah) to read while the Torah scroll is being read. It has notes and commentary and I enjoy reading it (I also have a Torah with commentary at home, but it's a Reform, not Conservative commentary). I've also noticed that the rabbi likes to spend some time after the Torah reading asking for audience comments regarding an issue brought up in the reading. It's like a short Torah study class with a lot of people in it.

It is hard to get up sometimes. The class starts at 9am and services start at 10:30am although they are not 2 1/2 hours long. Although I can't tell you how long because I never pay attention to the time when I leave.

Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Its very complicated how we study...at least for us. My husband had taken off few months of work ( last summer) to begin his studies and I have decided to be a stay at home wife and study partner with my husband. He has long hours of work and travels but it does not stop him from averaging several study guide books a week or month, at least one Talmud Tractate a month, online Torah classes, and a broad spectrum of published commentaries, and books on Jewish subjects. We have our own system, he has the mental capacity to read 4 or more books simultaneously and write down his own commentaries, I could only do a few if I need expanded insight then I bring out the commentaries along with the Tanach. I get distracted easily so I am slower, but we share insight, if we dont agree we hit the books then have discussions and refer to our sources, we recently had a several day disagreement on a psalm chapter he said was written by Adam and I did not agree with the sages who claim it was because of its likeness to king Davids psalms and cities it mentions did not exist so it took a few days but we broke down the psalm to parts and debated the references. We are taking a break this month January on Talmud studies, he is focusing on deciphering the Midrash and has more time to study other books, I am studying Samuel. He found big Judaica stores in Baltimore and I have been receiving boxes of books this week and he told me to expect more, apparently he is also moving on to Steinsaltz Edition Talmud...I can't keep up! I am on elementary level and he is on a scholar level but it is a life journey together and its fantastic how I pick up on things he has missed and how he enlightens me when I can't understand. It works for us and its awesome when he calls me late at night with Talmudic secrets he just discovered and how I can further his insight on subjects...we are just in awe on Hashems wisdom and teachings!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU study Torah?   How do YOU study Torah? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do YOU study Torah?
Page 1 of 1