Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gluten free matzo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 am

For those who are gluten-intolerant or have celiac disease:
Gluten free matzo

If you are affiliated with a Conservative congregation and interested in buying this gluten free matzo, PM me and I will give you additional information on how you may be able to get a discount on your order.

(Note: I generally refuse to think about Passover until after Purim, but in this case, I'm afraid that I will forget to post this info if I wait.)
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 am

That is the matzah I bought last year. It was very good. I was able to buy mine at the regular grocery store that puts out a large selection of Kosher for Passover foods.
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Are you gluten-intolerant, Dena? Have you ever tried making a potato flour kosher for Passover cake? I once made one when my daughter's birthday was during Pesach. Both of my kids have birthdays in April, so their (secular) birthdays can fall during Pesach or too close to the beginning of Pesach for a regular cake.

I've seen "oat matzah" from the UK for people who can't eat gluten, but I haven't seen this kind before.

I've never tasted the Yehuda brand's gluten free matzah (or "matzo-style squares" as it says on the package!), but Yehuda is my favorite brand of regular matzah. it is made in Israel and has a good flavor (less bland than other brands, IMHO. Luckily, the big 5 lb family packs have often been sold for a very low price (same price as a single 1lb box) as a "loss leader" at our local chain supermarket.
Back to top Go down
Dena

Dena

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes, I stay away from anything containing gluten. Last year I ate a tiny bit of regular matzah since the potato starch is technically just "matzo style" but this year I may just not worry about it. My Rabbi told me not to make myself sick trying to fullfill the obligation.

I haven't baked much in the way of gluten free foods. Are the cakes good?
Back to top Go down
Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:41 pm

The potato flour cake I made had a lot of whipped egg whites, so it was a kind of angel food cake. I seem to remember that it tasted pretty good, but it was many years ago. These days my kids are teens and don't really care whether we have cake for their birthdays, so we don't necessarily have one even when the date is not during Pesach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gluten free matzo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten free matzo   Gluten free matzo Empty

Back to top Go down

Gluten free matzo
Page 1 of 1