Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Charging Interest for Non-Jews

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dena

Dena

Charging Interest for Non-Jews Empty
PostSubject: Charging Interest for Non-Jews   Charging Interest for Non-Jews EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

I have seen it written that charging interest to non-Jews is an affirmative command. The verse cited is the one below. I'm am not seeing why that is a command to charge interest?

You may [however,] give interest to a gentile, but to your brother you shall not give interest, in order that the Lord, your God, shall bless you in every one of your endeavors on the land to which you are coming to possess.

Back to top Go down
Bee

Bee

Charging Interest for Non-Jews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging Interest for Non-Jews   Charging Interest for Non-Jews EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:38 am

It states [may] to a gentile because a gentile is not obligated to follow mitzvots such as not making money off your Jewish brother from their misfortune. If a Jew gives you their coat as collateral by the following day you must return it because it is a moral obligation. I can look it up, I read this not too long ago but I have been studying to where I can't remember anything. I need picture books! Shocked
Back to top Go down

Charging Interest for Non-Jews
Page 1 of 1